Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Cold Weather Brings Immune System Challenges

Do we catch colds from our loved ones or do our compromised immune systems fail us when there's a season change and a drastic change in the weather?

In 1999, I was singing my heart out with the Vancouver Soul Gospel Choir. I sing lead alto, and I have always had a love for Gospel music, especially the hand-clapping, toe-tapping variety that Checo Tohomaso leads so well.

One month before our Christmas Concert, I got a cold. Colds used to hit me in the chest first and, as it got worse and worse, I began to lose my voice. Within a few days, I had full-blown laryngitis; I didn't have a voice at all.

Sadly, I attended the concert as a spectator, yearning to sing along with my alto section but, relegated to the pews, I sang along only in my mind.

By New Years, my voice had returned and I was happy to put that cold behind me. The weeks went by with the typical Vancouver winter, damp and dreary, with the odd tease of brilliant sunshine to remind me why I moved from the Prairies to the West Coast.

But in February of 2000, another cold threatened. I did everything I could think of to stave it off (Vitamin C, Echinacea, zinc lozenges, etc) but, not only did it return with a vengeance, it took my voice with it once again. I was furious at the Universe. As the days turned into three weeks, I became a man-on-a-mission. I was after a solution to ramp-up my immune system.

We have some local natural health publications here and I came upon a tiny ad in Shared Vision magazine, promising great health results. I was desperate but not stupid and, thinking I'd heard it all before, I called the number to query the guy about his claims.

In fact, he shared the story of his wife, who had suffered from a weakened liver and he said she had recovered her health enough to be put on the transplant list. They felt that she had done so with the help of a supplement line from San Diego called Bodywise.

As I've said, I was highly skeptical but I was young and adventurous so, rather than take his word for it, I called San Diego. People I spoke to there backed up everything my new friend in Langley had said. A plane trip was in order, to see for myself what this company could afford me.

During my trip, my admiration of this company and their people and products grew and grew. I visited the lab, and spoke with the company President, who had owned the pharmaceutical-grade manufacturing plant since the late 50's. They gave regular tours of the facility and I was able to participate in a chat with the scientists. Also, I was able to talk to many people who claimed that they had recovered their health with the help of this wonderful company and their nutraceuticals.

So, with some hesitation, I became involved, first as a customer and, later on, as a distributor, intent on spreading the good word to the folks of British Columbia and beyond.

It is now coming to the close of 2006 and I can say, unequivocally, that I have not had a cold or a flu since that last bout of laryngitis so many years ago. I am in the fourth year at my current job, where I work with a non-profit society, helping unemployed women get into the work force. You can ask our Executive Director...I have never had a sick day. I would like to invite you to follow me and find your own path to wellness.

No one knows your body like you do and every one is so different.

When colds, the flu and other pesky illnesses lurk on every bus, phone and banister, it's wise to try to bolster your immune system with nutrients that'll help you to stave off sickness.To keep your body in top working order, aim for the basics of a healthy diet. Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables, and opt for whole grains over refined ones to provide the most vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals -- disease-fighting compounds from plant foods.

There are also certain nutrients that provide a sound foundation. As a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, I suggest taking nutritional supplements at the recommended daily intake level. Keep an eye out for the following food sources of nutrients, while you use supplements in the areas where you feel you have a shortfall.


Here are some final thoughts from www.homemakers.com on strengthening your immune system.

1. Protein - People often look for lesser-known nutrients or supplements while paying little attention to protein intakes. But adequate protein -- at least 46 grams per day -- provides a foundation for essential components of the immune system, including white blood cells and antibodies. Go for moderate portions of protein-rich options such as fish, lean meats and poultry, eggs, soy foods, legumes and nuts.

2. Iron - It's a mineral that young women are often lacking, but dietary shortfalls can occur at any age. Red meat, eggs, legumes, dark leafy greens and whole- grain products supply dietary iron. But to boost absorption of iron from plant sources, it's recommended that you consume a vitamin C-rich food at the same meal.

3. Selenium - This important player in immune function is needed only in small amounts. Brazil nuts, meat, fish and poultry all supply this mineral.

4. Zinc - Too little or too much of this mineral can lead to a compromised immune system because zinc is significantly involved in immune-system development and reactivity. Meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, legumes, whole grains and milk are all chock-full of zinc. While earlier studies found inconsistent results, the latest on zinc gluconate lozenges shows that they seem to shorten the duration and severity of symptoms of the common cold when administered within 24 hours of the onset of symptoms.

5. Vitamin A - One of the roles of vitamin A in the immune system is to maintain healthy mucous membranes, which provide protective barriers throughout the body to help fight off infection by blocking the viruses or bacteria from entering the blood stream. Sources include meat and plant foods rich in the orange pigment beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the body. Carrots, squash and pumpkin are just a few beta-carotene-rich options.

6. Vitamin C - A vitamin with anti-inflammatory effects, Vitamin C helps the immune system by decreasing inflammation. This in turn results in fewer symptoms of pain, such as a sore throat, and also helps maintain healthy mucous membranes. Berries, melon, citrus fruits and tomatoes are a few examples of fruits and vegetables that fit the bill. There is a long-held belief that vitamin C can prevent colds, but research doesn't back it up. Supplements may lessen the symptoms and shorten the duration. Large amounts over time are linked to an increased risk of kidney stones, and for some, the acidic content of vitamin C, or ascorbic acid as it is called on food ingredient labels, can cause gastrointestinal upsets.

7. Vitamin E - Also an integral part of a healthy immune system, this vitamin has received some bad press as of late. Keep your intake of Vitamin E supplements moderate and consume foods rich in vitamin E, such as vegetable oils, nuts and seeds, avocados and margarine. Remember to keep your consumption of all fats, including oils, to a minimum.

8. Omega-3 fatty acids (EFAs) - For those with overactive immune systems, which includes those with autoimmune diseases as well as allergies, scientists have been investigating a number of foods and nutrients that may calm the immune system. Omega-3 fatty acids have been at the centre of much of this research. This group of unsaturated fats, found in foods including cold water fish such as salmon, trout and herring, and nuts and seeds such as walnuts, may have potential as anti-inflammatory compounds that may calm overactive immune systems. Researchers are still trying to determine which of these fatty acids have the most potent effects.

The fact that being obese is linked to a host of illnesses such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and certain cancers comes as no surprise to most women. But its connection to impaired immune-system function is not well known. While achieving and maintaining a healthy weight improves immune system performance, yo-yo dieting, in which a significant amount of weight is lost and regained, can do the opposite.

For information on the supplements I've used to strengthen my immune system and keep me healthy and sick-day-free, e-mail me at getyourbodyback@hotmail.com and I'll be happy to answer your questions and share my results with you.

I just know that you can Get Your Body Back - Billie

No comments: