Friday, January 22, 2010

How to Get Organized for a Fitness Lifestyle Upgrade!



First of all, you might be asking yourself, "What is a Fitness Lifestyle Upgrade?"...

Many people say they want to get fit, get healthier, eat better, stop smoking, lose weight, etc, etc, etc...

As I've told many of my students, everything we say we want is just a good idea, until we make it a goal, complete with an action plan. Use the SMART acronym to guide your action plan, when you're serious about making goals that you intend to achieve:

S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Attainable
R - Realistic
T - Time Sensitive


So a Fitness Lifestyle Upgrade is what happens when you decide to take your health and wellness "good idea" and make it into a goal...

Specific: I will run the Sun Run on May 9, 2010
Measurable: I will follow the Training 16 workout program (for the next 16 weeks)
Attainable: I will check in with my doctor, and confirm that I am healthy enough to undertake this physical challenge
Realistic: I have looked at my schedule for the next 16 weeks, and I can and will devote up to one hour per day on improving my fitness level
Time Sensitive: I have plotted the 16 weeks on my calendar (up to May 9th)

Once we have set the goal, we have to Get Organized to support this Fitness Lifestyle Upgrade...this is the planning stage and here's what you have to think about and prepare:

* If the workout plan suggests 3 workouts of 40 minutes this week, which days can I do this? Post the three days on your weekly calendar.

* Do I have my equipment all ready (laundered, laid out)? Runners, socks, workout clothes (different options available for different types of weather, or different times of day), hair elastic, baseball cap, headphones and music, vest/jacket with many zippers, tissue, house key, gloves.

* Decide exactly what time of day works for your schedule and plan it. For example:

Morning workout: set your alarm...do you need 30 minutes to wake up and get dressed? 60 minutes? Go to bed on time the night before! Do you need 6 hours to feel fully rested? 8 hours? Always drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up.

After work workout: Can you walk in the door and get to your workout, without distractions from your family, TV, or the computer? Or should you workout straight from work?

Evening workout: Can you eat a light dinner and conserve your energy, so you can be assured of getting out of the house, before you head for your bed?

This is how you get organized for a Fitness Lifestyle Upgrade. It's no longer just a good idea to make improvements. You are TAKING ACTION by getting prepared, and setting up a system that will work for you. Then you simply take the steps!

This is how you make sure that there are NO EXCUSES and that..what you say...is what you do!

Happy Upgrade!

No comments: