Thursday, April 29, 2010

My New Favorite Veggie...Raw Corn!



The other day, my husband asked me to drop by Church's Chicken for some take-out. Yes, you heard right...my husband does not prescribe to my eating habits!

While I waited for his Fried Chicken, I checked out the menu board to see if there was anything I could possibly want myself. Hmmm, rice with veggies and chicken sounded OK and then, wow...they offered Corn on the Cob! So I ordered one!

When my order arrived, the corn was hot to the touch, and looked shiny and delicious, all wrapped up in a little bag of its own. I couldn't wait to get home to chow down!

Well, on first bite, the corn was a HUGE disappointment...soft and mushy with every bite, and slathered with some kind of grease...I'd like to hope it was butter, but I am highly doubtful.

I shared it with hubby, and he didn't like it much either...so into the compost the half-eaten cob went!

With my growing interest in all things raw, I asked myself if it was possible to retain that yummiest of corn flavors by eating my next corn on the cob raw. Off I went on a web search to see if others felt the same way. And alas, so they did!

I was able to buy 2 cobs for $1.49 on Fraser St at a little Asian market. At home, I started my salad fixings. I broke one cob in half and sheered the kernels off with a sharp knife. Then I added lettuce, cucumber, tomato, carrot, red cabbage, yellow pepper, and mushrooms, and a little dressing.

Heavenly! I am not kidding you! Right now, I cannot imagine another salad without raw corn in it!

As my 2-cob-supply was quickly dwindling, I headed out to Safeway to pick up a few more cobs. Well, much to my chagrin, they were charging $5.99 for 3 cobs...needless to say, I passed on that purchase...that was just too crazy expensive.

Tomorrow, I'll head back over to Fraser St...is it worth the drive? I think so...it's the principal here. While I'm at it, I'll check out Caper's too and, if they're charging a pretty penny for some organic corn, I might consider it...

No comments: