Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Wise Body - Step 2

In 1976, Stanley Burroughs published a tiny little book which has become the standard for those who promote natural healing. From his book, The Master Cleanser, I offer you this quote:

"At last, the basic cause of disease is no longer a mystery. The basic cause is the habits of improper diet, inadequate exercise, negative mental attitudes, and a lack of spiritual attunement which combine to produce toxic conditions and malfunction of our bodies. The elimination of the cause of illness is the obvious and only way to healing and health. The elimination of the habits that cause illness is done through the positive approach of developing proper habits that cause health, combined with corrective techniques that remove the ill effects of our former incorrect ways."

At this point, I want to remind everyone that I am not a doctor and do not purport to know the cause or cure of anyone's illnesses. However, as one human being to another, I have been ill, I have become well, and I am now ill so seldom that I believe I have something to share with others. Perhaps there is something that you can use, in the things that I share, to support your own healing. We can be our own best healthcare provider, regardless of what we may have been told by the medical community...if we take the steps to listen to our body and learn more about what our body needs for optimum functioning.

So, regarding Mr. Burrough's words of 30 years ago...Step 2 is about the fuel that you put into your body. Many people think that the key to having the body they want is exercise. So, if they can't work out, they don't create Body Transformation goals for themselves. Well, while it is true that physical activity plays a fundamental role in any successful fat-loss program, there is no question that food consumption plays an equally important role.

Step 2 is about getting conscious about what you put into your mouth and when (and sometimes why). Time to keep a record, which we'll call a Food Journal. For the next seven days, write in your journal before and after you eat something, everything, every time. And don't go changing your habits for 7 days, because you hate to admit what you're eating. This IS NOT about me, this is about you, and observing your eating is not about punishment or criticism. The beginning of the Get Your Body Back program is about self-assessment, getting to know yourself, becoming aware of your habits. We can't change what we don't know about ourselves. And, even if you think you do know, write a Food Journal anyway. For seven days, make a note of everything that goes into your mouth, how much, and at what time.

Some people benefit from making a note of why they ate too. Were they hungry, was it a ravenous hunger at 10 on the scale? Or were they bored, tired, or lonely? Were they at a function and the buffet was so tempting? Were they pressured at a family gathering to have another helping? This is all useful information for you to have about yourself.

You may prefer to keep your journal on the computer. After the 7 days are complete, send the document to me, and I'll send you some feedback. Stick to the basics and keep it as simple as you can...record the foods you ate, how much, when you ate them, and any feelings or observations you may wish to share.

I've written an article on our society, its difficulties with food and who's to blame. If you'd like a copy, send me an e-mail at thewisebody@hotmail.com and I'll fire it off to you.

I just know that you can Get Your Body Back...

1 comment:

Billie Sinclair said...

Hey mk,
I had no idea that your comment was here - sorry I didn't respond sooner. Sounds like you've found something online that you're happy with. If using the web package is working for you, keep it up and all the best to you. You're welcome to check in with me anytime. As for the Executive Challenge, I'm afraid I need to review everyone's daily/weekly intake and exercise logs, so the online thing doesn't really work unless I have access to it. If you want to join me some other time, just let me know...I look forward to working with you.