Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Measuring Your Success


We all know that being overweight increases our risks associated with many illnesses and conditions. To name a few:

Heart disease and stroke
High blood pressure
Diabetes
Cancer
Gallbladder disease and
gallstones
Osteoarthritis
Gout
Breathing problems, such as
sleep apnea and asthma

But how do we measure our degree of risk?

Today, obesity is commonly measured by using a mathematical formula called the Body Mass Index.

BMI is determined by dividing your weight in pounds by your height in inches squared and then multiplying by 705. For example, a woman who is 5'6" and weighs 190 would have a BMI of 31.

That sounds complicated, right?

(This calculation is based on the formula example from: The Calorie Council www.caloriecouncil.org)

How do you use this information in your real life? Fortunately, there is a more simple way to get this calculation.

To calculate your BMI, go to www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi and input your height and weight. This online calculator will give you your results immediately.
  • An individual is considered underweight if their BMI is less than 18.5.
  • BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is considered a "normal" measurement.
  • Individuals who fall into the BMI range of 25 to 34.9 begin having some health risk concerns.
  • Specifically those who have a waist size of more than 40 inches for men, or 35 inches for women, have a higher risk for obesity-related health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
  • BMI of 30 or more qualifies an individual as obese.
  • BMI over 40 indicates that a person is morbidly obese.

I'll use myself as a guinea pig here. We all have weight fluctuations, preferably minimal ones. When my weight is around 130, my BMI is 24.9. Considered on the high-end of Normal.

If my weight should fluctuate to 135, my BMI is 25.5, and I cross the line to Overweight on the BMI scale (over 25).

So I know that it's in my best interest to keep my weight around 130 or lower, for the sake of my health and longevity. This is a good measure for me to work with, compared to a weight scale, which doesn't give me enough of a picture of my overall risks.

Go to the BMI calculator now and enter your current numbers to get your current reading. Then keep entering a lower weight until your reading comes out in the Normal range, which is 18.5-24.9. This will give you a reading to set your healthy weight-goals by.

These results are based on your height and general frame. A smaller-framed person may prefer to be on the lower end of Normal, while a larger-framed person may prefer to be on the higher-end of Normal.

Play with the numbers. Then consider joining the Executive Challenge and let my team of experts help you lose 20 pounds in 90 days. Have your success story profiled in our new book. For more information, e-mail us at executivechallenge@hotmail.com. We're looking for 15 case studies and there are only a few spots left...

The important thing is to be aware of your risks, and following your BMI is a great way to measure your progress. I just know that you can Get Your Body Back...

No comments: